It’s important when anyone speaks to you that they are patient and respectful. This can help you gather your thoughts and confidently finish your sentences.
Share the below suggestion with family, friends and care providers so they understand what they can do to support your communication with them:
- Look at you when speaking to you
- Try to find a quiet environment and take time out to have discussions that might require extra time
- Don’t hurry. Allow enough time for what you’ve said to be understood and for you to finish what you were saying
- Remain calm and talk in a matter-of-fact way
- Keep sentences short and simple, and focus on one idea at a time
You can also direct your family and friends to read our 7 tips to support people living with dementia, share the link via email or social media.