A dementia-friendly environment is one that is familiar to you, easily accessible, safe, secure and supports you to retain your independence.
Consider working with your family or care provider to implement the following dementia-friendly changes in your home:
- Use a D shape door handle that contrasts to the door to ease access
- Contrast the colour of doors to surrounding walls
- Consider painting the architraves or door frame a contrasting colour
- Consider having the toilet door a different colour to other doors
- Consider symbols or photographs to indicate the function of the room
- Use either Arial or Helvetica fonts for door signage. Place signage at 1.2 metre height so they can be easily seen
- Ensure contrast in light switches . You can also put coloured tape around the switch to assist with identification
- Use larger switches for turning lights on and off
- Use a whiteboard or calendar to post notes and reminders.
- Use our online home improvement tool to discover some easy ways you can make your home more dementia-friendly, room by room.